1. Home
  2. /
  3. News
  4. /
  5. News 2018-2019
  6. /
  7. Sophia Morone Signs to...

Averill Park senior Sophia Morone signed her National Letter of Intent to compete on the track and field team for Division I Binghamton University on Thursday.

Morone has been a part of the varsity outdoor track and field team for three years and the indoor team for one year.

“I started track and field in tenth grade when my soccer coach, Coach Luskin, and some of my soccer teammates urged me to try. I’m so glad I joined because track and field is an amazing sport to be a part of,” Morone said. “When college coaches started emailing me, I decided track and field is something that I wanted to do after high school.

“Binghamton was already the perfect fit for me academically and their Division I track & field program will keep running as one of my priorities. I couldn’t have found this success without my parents and my siblings, Coach Luskin and Coach Gobel, and my fellow runners and jumpers. They all push me to shave another second off of my time or jump an extra foot. I look forward to sprinting and jumping at Binghamton. Go Bearcats!”

Morone currently holds the outdoor school record in the long jump at 17-feet, 8 ¾-inches. She is also part of the outdoor teams that hold the school record in the 4×100-meter relay and the 4×400 relay.

As a sophomore and junior, Morone’s team won the 4×100 at the Section II Championships. She is also part of the indoor 4×400 team that holds a school record.

“Sophia has contributed greatly to the success of our team,” outdoor track and field coach Nate Luskin said. “Sophia is one of our leaders and consistently acts as a role model for our younger team members. She has a great work ethic and is extremely dedicated to our team.”

sophia signs letter of intent

morone family