1. Home
  2. /
  3. News
  4. /
  5. News 2019-2020
  6. /
  7. Mr. Bishop Says Goodbye...

After spending 25 years working for the Averill Park Central School District, Poestenkill Elementary Principal, Mr. Bishop, is saying goodbye.

Mr. Bishop has accepted a superintendent position with Fort Plain CSD. His last day at APCSD is Thursday, April 30.

“During his two and a half decades in Averill Park, John has contributed positively to our school community in so many ways and in so many roles,” APCSD Superintendent Dr. James Franchini said. “He will absolutely be missed, but Averill Park’s loss is certainly Fort Plain’s gain. On behalf of the District, I thank John for his outstanding service and wish him all the best as he takes on this new challenge.”

Mr. Bishop’s tenure at Averill Park began in 1994 when he was hired as a consultant Special Education teacher at West Sand Lake Elementary. Later he would hold the positions of Special Education Teacher at Averill Park High School, Assistant Principal at Algonquin Middle School and Assistant Principal at Averill Park High School before accepting the role of Principal at Poestenkill.

He was also the Athletic Director and coached the varsity football team, frosh girls basketball, JV and varsity lacrosse and boys golf. During his time as the AD, Averill Park’s boys soccer, girls basketball and baseball teams all qualified for the state tournament in the same year. Needless to say, Mr. Bishop put a lot of miles on his car that year.

“I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the kids celebrate their success,” he said. “It was a fun time for all involved, including the coaches, kids, parents and the school community as a whole.”

Being invited to give the commencement speech at a high school graduation was also a highlight among the many great memories that he has.

“I will miss the Warrior Pride,” he said. “Averill Park is a great school community. The relationships forged with students, faculty, staff, parents, and the administrative team have me well prepared to assume the role of superintendent. AP will always be near and dear to my heart. I hold a high value on the connections built and will miss these relationships.”

Mr. Bishop is looking forward to the many challenges associated with being a school superintendent and will rely on the strong set of skills he accumulated while working in the Averill Park Central School District.

“I am very grateful to have ended my career at Poestenkill Elementary. PES is a great school community that is kid-centered and learner-focused,” Mr. Bishop stated. “The parents are involved and supportive of our work. Having this as my capstone is truly the icing on the cake.”

principal bishop and students

principal and students

principal bishop

principal bishop