1. Home
  2. /
  3. News
  4. /
  5. News 2019-2020
  6. /
  7. Camille Harrelson Named Director...

On Monday, June 15, the Averill Park Central School District Board of Education approved the appointment of Camille Harrelson as the new Director of Special Education.

“Dr. Harrelson is a perfect fit for our school district. She brings to Averill Park a wealth of experience and expertise, and I look forward to her joining the AP family,” APCSD Superintendent Dr. James Franchini said.

Dr. Harrelson has spent 24 years working in education, teaching for 10 years before moving into an administrative role.

Dr. Harrelson grew up in East Greenbush, graduating from Columbia High School. She earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Special Education from the College of Charleston in South Carolina; a Master’s in Education from Coastal Carolina University; a Certificate of Advance Study from The College of Saint Rose; and a Doctorate of Education from The Sage Colleges.

“I’m really excited to work for Averill Park. The district has a great reputation and has done great things in special education. They are very student-centered,” Dr. Harrelson said. “Special Education is my love. I really enjoy working with staff, families and students. I enjoy thinking outside of the box, helping students who are struggling, and finding ways for them to excel.”

Prior to coming to Averill Park CSD, Dr. Harrelson was the Director of Pupil Personnel Services at Niskayuna CSD.

Over the past few months, Dr. Harrelson has navigated the world of remote learning due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

“Reflecting on where the virus has put us, I’ve become pretty tech savvy. I’m very comfortable with Google and I’ve been helping others become comfortable with it,” she said. “We have found new ways to reach students and have found ways to collaborate without being in the same room. I look forward to helping families and students navigate through this and get them back into our school buildings.”

Dr. Harrelson resides in Glens Falls with her husband, James, and son, Benjamin. When not working, she enjoys being outdoors, gardening, camping, and boating on lakes in the Adirondack Mountains.

Camille Harrelson