1. Home
  2. /
  3. News
  4. /
  5. News 2020-2021
  6. /
  7. Athletic Director Mark Bubniak...

Congratulations to Athletic Director Mark Bubniak, who was granted tenure by the Averill Park Central School District recently.

Mr. Bubniak is in his seventh year working at APCSD. Prior to coming to the District he was a teacher, Director of Athletics and girls basketball coach in the Schodack Central School District.

“When I was a student at Maple Hill, I had some really good teachers and coaches as mentors,” Bubniak said, mentioning Pat Snyder, Jim Canonica and Dan Gillespie, specifically. “That led me to go into education. I knew that once I decided to go into education that I’d want to coach as well. I ended up coaching girls basketball for 13 years at Maple Hill.

“I love my job,” he added. “I get to work with students in the athletic setting. I can’t think of anything else in education that I’d rather be doing.”

Among his favorite Averill Park moments, Bubniak notes the softball team winning the NYSPHSAA Championship in 2015. He enjoys the trips out of the section with AP teams to regional and state competition and working with all of the great coaches and student-athletes that are in the Averill Park Central School District. One of his favorite accomplishments to date is the establishment of the Athletic Hall of Fame, which began in 2018.

Although his work keeps him busy and has him on campus late many nights, Mr. Bubniak is a season ticket holder of the New England Patriots.

“I have seen every Tom Brady home playoff game of his career in person. 20 wins and 4 losses,” he said.

Photo Collage