1. Home
  2. /
  3. News
  4. /
  5. News 2020-2021
  6. /
  7. Keri Rosher Named West...

During the Averill Park Central School District Board of Education meeting on May 10, Keri Rosher was appointed as the new Principal at West Sand Lake Elementary School.

“I am honored to lead the West Sand Lake Elementary School community and I look forward to getting to know the students, staff and families,” Mrs. Rosher said. “As the Principal, it is my goal to work with the team to build upon the positive learning culture, school/home partnerships, and academic and character education programs that make WSL such a wonderful school for students to learn and grow.”

Mrs. Rosher is currently an elementary school assistant principal in the Schodack Central School District, where she has led building-wide initiatives in literacy, mental health and social-emotional learning. Prior to that position, she spent six years at Guilderland CSD, working as a K-5 Reading Specialist and Language Arts Coordinator. She was also the principal for Guilderland’s K-12 summer special education program. Mrs. Rosher began her career in education working as a teacher at Hoosic Valley CSD.

“As a classroom teacher and reading specialist for 13 years, I had various leadership roles, including the K-5 Language Arts Coordinator at Westmere Elementary,” she said. “I enjoyed working with the larger school community to strengthen the literacy program and saw the greater impact I could have on the educational experience for children and families as a building leader.”

Mrs. Rosher attended SUNY Cortland, earning her Bachelors Degree in Childhood Education, and earned her Masters Degree in Literacy at The College of Saint Rose. She holds certifications in Childhood Education (Grades 1-6), Literacy (Birth-Grade 6) and School Building Leader.

“We had many great candidates for this position and Mrs. Rosher quickly rose to the top with her experience working in a K-5 environment, specifically in Reading and Language Arts,” Superintendent Dr. James Franchini said. “We look forward to Mrs. Rosher joining the Averill Park CSD family. We thank Mrs. Mein for stepping up and doing a wonderful job running West Sand Lake Elementary School since Mrs. Kyer’s retirement.”

Mrs. Rosher will officially begin on July 1, 2021. Interim WSL Principal, Christina Mein, will return to her role as Assistant Principal at Averill Park High School on June 1, 2021, where she will help lead end-of-year activities for the Class of 2021. Kate Dorgan will fulfill the role of Interim Principal at WSL from June 1 to July 1.

Mrs. Rosher knew from an early age that she wanted to work with children.

“In elementary school, I had great teachers who brought learning to life and created a supportive school environment that encouraged me to be creative and take risks. I was inspired by the difference that my teachers had in my life and I wanted to do the same for others,” she said.

Mrs. Rosher lives in Glenmont with her husband, Brian, and two daughters, Cora (7) and Alaina (5). The family has a dog, Cyrus, and a cat, Annabelle, who is 15 years old! Mrs. Rosher enjoys traveling with her family to new places, especially beaches, visiting zoos and museums. She has visited four out of five Hawaiian Islands. She also enjoys reading. Her favorite children’s authors are Mo Willems and Kate DiCamillo.

Keri Rosher