1. Home
  2. /
  3. News
  4. /
  5. News 2020-2021
  6. /
  7. New Hire Profile: Carly...

Carly Desiderio joins the Special Education department at Averill Park High School this year.

“My mom was a teacher and had always told me not to become a teacher. Joke’s on her!” she said. “In all seriousness, it may have been my first glance at the profession, but I always knew it was something I was meant to do.”

Miss Desiderio attended Sacred Heart University (undergrad), Union Graduate College and Northeastern/MGH (special education and reading certificates).

Prior to joining Averill Park CSD, Miss Desiderio was a teaching assistant in Newton, Massachusetts for two years. She also worked at a therapeutic outplacement in Framingham, Massachusetts for one year, and as a special educator in Wellesley Public Schools for eight years.

“I’ve jumped around a lot in what I’ve been teaching, starting with history, dabbling in reading and moving to special education, but I’ve always known that the teaching profession is where I belonged,” she said. “I always have told anyone who is interested in the profession that you have to love teaching students more than you love the content that you teach.”

Fun Fact! Miss Desiderio hates cilantro.

carly desiderio