1. Home
  2. /
  3. News
  4. /
  5. News 2021-2022
  6. /
  7. 4 Sign National Letters...

students signing

On Friday, November 19, four Averill Park Central School District student-athletes signed their National Letters of Intent to compete at the collegiate level.

Merry Gaylord (softball) and Amelia Wood (basketball) both signed to Sacred Heart University while Michelina Lombardi (Basketball) will compete for Le Moyne College and Abbey Nagel (softball) will attend the University at Buffalo.

Gaylord is a three-year varsity soccer player at Averill Park, leading the Warriors to two Section 2, Class A title matches. She is a two-time Suburban Council First Team All-Star as well as team Co-MVP. As a junior, Gaylord was named a NYSSCOGS Class A First Team All-State player.

“I first kicked a soccer ball when I was four years old, and I haven’t stopped since,” Gaylor said. “Playing in college has been a goal of mine ever since I was in middle school. The journey to get here has brought me some of my best friends and has pushed me to be my best. I’m so grateful for this opportunity to continue my academic and athletic career at Sacred Heart University. I fell in love with the school the minute that I stepped onto the campus and I’m so proud that my hard work has paid off. I want to thank my family, coaches, and teammates for helping me to achieve my goal. Go Pioneers!”

The Pioneers soccer team went 8-7-2 this season, qualifying for the NEC postseason tournament, where they fell in the semifinals.

“It has been my privilege to coach and watch Merry develop into the player that she is today,” AP soccer coach Nate Luskin said. “Her growth as a player over the past few years has been remarkable and she has transformed into one of the best players in the Suburban Council. As a captain, Merry leads with her work ethic and passion for the game. Thank you for your dedication and good luck as you continue your journey at Sacred Heart University.”

“Merry has been an integral part of our soccer team for the past three years,” Athletic Director Mark Bubniak said. “She has turned into a fantastic leader and a player that the younger girls look up to. We wish her all the best at the collegiate level.”

Lombardi has competed on the varsity basketball team for four years. She has been a part of two Section 2, Class A championship teams. In her sophomore season, she was named the Section 2, Class A Tournament MVP.

“I’ve been playing basketball since third grade and ever since then I’ve loved every minute of it,” Lombardi said. “I am extremely excited that I have accomplished my goal and will continue playing basketball at Le Moyne College. Thank you to the Averill Park community for their constant love and support. I would like to thank all of my past and present coaches who have pushed me to be the best player that I can be. Lastly, a huge thank you to my family because without them I wouldn’t be where I am today. Phins Up!”

During the 2019-20 season, the Le Moyne Dolphins went 19-9 and made the NCAA Tournament, though the tourney was canceled due to COVID-19. The pandemic shut down the 2020-21 season.

“Michelina is a highly motivated four-year player who is an incredible student-athlete. She is Senior Class President, President of the Student-Athlete Advisory Council, a member of the Journalism Club, a member of National Honor Society, and a member of International Club,” AP basketball coach Sean Organ said. “Due to her admirable leadership and communication skills Michelina has been selected as a captain of the girls basketball team. She is a versatile guard with an incredible handle, court vision, and jump shot. Michelina is a rugged defender who has locked up some of the best guards in the Suburban Council. She has put an enormous amount of time and energy into improving each offseason and she is going to be a great addition to Le Moyne College. Her coaches and teammates wish Michelina continued success throughout her collegiate career.”

“Michelina has been an integral part of our basketball team for four years,” Bubniak added. “She is a multi-sport athlete who is also the President of the Student-Athlete Advisory Council. In my eight years here at Averill Park we have never had someone who embodies everything that we want in a student-athlete more than Michelina Lombardi. We wish her all the best at the collegiate level.”

Nagel has been on the varsity softball team for five years. She was a part of a Section 2, Class A championship team in 2018. As a junior she was named a Suburban Council Second Team All-Star.

“Softball has been a part of my life since I was five years old. Since then, every time I step on the field, I feel the same excitement as I did when I was younger,” Nagel said. “I worked extremely hard to be the best player that I could be. I am so blessed and thankful for all of the lessons that softball has taught me. Softball has not only taught me to throw and catch a ball but also good sportsmanship and how to be a great friend and a respectful member of the community. I would like to thank all of my coaches for pushing me hard and helping me to become who I am today and to the coaches at the University at Buffalo for giving me the opportunity to play at the next level. Finally, I would like to thank my mom and dad for putting up with all of the traveling for the past nine years and helping me live out my dreams. Go Bulls!”

The Bulls went 18-35 last season in returning to the diamond.

“Abbey is a coach’s dream,” AP softball coach Kevin Earl said. “She has outstanding softball skills on the field and is an amazing student-athlete off of the field. Her work ethic is second to none and she is always looking to better herself and those around her. Abbey is a person of great character. She is an amazing leader who displays genuine concern for her teammates. We wish Abbey continued success as she prepares to play at the next level for the University at Buffalo.”

“Abbey has been an integral part of our softball team for five years,” Bubniak added. “She sets a great example for the younger girls in the program. Abbey is also the Treasurer of the Student-Athlete Advisory Council. We wish her all the best at the collegiate level.”

Wood has been on the varsity basketball team for five years. She has been a part of three Section 2, Class A championship teams. As a junior she averaged 15.3 points per game and 9 rebounds per game, and also went over the 1,000-point mark for her career.

“Basketball has been a part of my life as long as I can remember,” Wood said. “Playing college basketball has always been a dream of mine. Basketball is so much more than a sport to me, and I have made so many bonds and memories. I wouldn’t be where I am today without all of my past and current coaches, my family, and my friends. I want to a give a special thank you to Coach Organ, Coach Keegan, and Terrance for always pushing me to be my best. I also want to thank the Averill Park community and the Havoc family for always supporting me. I am so excited that I will be continuing my academic and athletic career playing basketball at Sacred Heart University! Go Pioneers!”

The Pioneers basketball team went 8-10 last year and is currently 2-0 for the 2021-22 campaign.

“Amelia is a five-year varsity player who has become one of our program’s all-time scorers. She is an explosive, multidimensional scoring guard who can finish through contact at the rim, knock down the 3-pointer, and is dangerous in transition,” Organ stated. “Amelia’s length, speed, and aggression make her dynamic. She is an intelligent player and a true competitor who never backs down from a challenge. Amelia has put a tremendous amount of work into improving her game each offseason. Amelia has been selected as a team captain because of her experience and work ethic. She has truly earned the opportunity to play at Sacred Heart next season. We thank Amelia for all she has given in her five years and wish her the best as she rejoins big sister KK next year!”

Bubniak added that “Amelia has been an integral part of our basketball team for five years. She is the last in a long line of Wood sisters to play basketball at Averill Park and I’m sure every coach in the Suburban Council and in Class A is grateful that she is the last. Amelia is also the Vice President of the Student-Athlete Advisory Council. We wish her all the best at the collegiate level.”