After nine years working in the Averill Park Central School District, Wendy Scarce is retiring this month.

Mrs. Scarce began as a substitute, then spent four years working as an aide in eighth grade at Algonquin Middle School before moving to the Library and the Main Office at Miller Hill-Sand Lake Elementary School.

“While I originally started working for the district in order to be able to spend more time with my family, I grew to love working with our students,” she said. “Witnessing those ‘Aha!’ moments and knowing that I helped them to get to those points was wonderfully fulfilling. At the middle school, I especially enjoyed helping out during science labs, and here at MH, I love the fact that I see and interact with every student in the building!”

Mrs. Scarce plans to spend more time working on projects at home and at her camp in Maine. She will miss the daily interactions with students and colleagues. While she will technically be retired, Mrs. Scarce plans to work as a substitute at Miller Hill-Sand Lake, and can be found working at the town library, as well.

retirement_15_-6685367