Algonquin News - March 24, 2020
STUDENT ROUTINES DURING SCHOOL CLOSURE
Parents/Guardians & Students:
During this time of school closure we know that one of the most important things students can do is follow a daily routine schedule to help prioritize and focus on school work. Here are some tips to help your child establish a good school routine in this distance learning model:
- Set a start time for school work each day.
- Have your child watch the AMS Morning Announcements to remain connected to the school during the closure and have them stay up to date with important updates. Click below to subscribe to our Youtube channel and get automatic updates when the videos are posted each day: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa6dAayrQP-IEoHIghV38Lg
- Check the AMS Google Homework Calendar. This calendar is even more important during the school closure as it announces teacher Google Hangouts and Zooms in addition to learning activities that students should be engaged in.
- Establish times for school work and breaks in the action, too. We do not want students staring at computer screens all day. Have them get up, move and encourage them to be active.
- Encourage time for independent, self selected reading and/or time with the arts.
- Create an end time for school work each day. It's important for everyone to walk away from their school work and do things that they enjoy during this school closure.
- Consider daily check-ins between student and parent: Establish a time of the day where your child talks about their work and shows you what they accomplished for the day.
AMS MAIN OFFICE PHYSICALLY CLOSED, VOICEMAIL BEING CHECKED
The AMS Main Office is physically closed, however we are checking the main office voicemail. If you need assistance please leave a message with a good contact phone number and someone will return your call. Thank you.
SCHOOL COUNSELORS HERE TO SUPPORT YOUR CHILD
During this time of school closure, the AMS Counseling Center remains open, virtually, for students and families. If you need support or assistance for your child at any time during this closure, please reach out to you child’s counselor listed below:
Team 1 - Tim Herbs -
Team 2 - Mary Anne Valentine -
Grade 7: Teams 3 & 4 - Tim Herbs -
Grade 8: Teams 5 & 6 - Mary Anne Valentine -
Social Social Worker: Linda Bille -
School Psychologist: Amber Williams -
Student Assistance Counselor: Samantha Keenan -
FREE BREAKFAST AND LUNCH FOR AVERILL PARK STUDENTS
Free grab and go breakfast and lunch is available for students free of charge during the school closure
Pick up at AMS or MH-SL Elementary
9 a.m.-12 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays
Drive-thru pick-up stations. Remain in your car and meals will be brought to you.
Monday: Lunch for Mon, Breakfast and Lunch for Tues, Breakfast for Wed
Wednesday: Lunch for Wed, Breakfast and Lunch for Thurs, Breakfast for Fri
Friday: Lunch for Fri, Breakfast for Mon
Dietary restrictions, please contact Colleen Wise at email@example.com.
If you can’t pick up meals at either location, please call Mr. Messia at 518-674-7100 ext 1.
NEED TECH SUPPORT FOR YOUR CHROMEBOOK?
The Averill Park CSD Technology Office is here to help with Chromebook and instructional software challenges students may face in the days ahead. Please click on this link for FAQ and ways to request direct assistance:
DAILY VIDEO DURING SCHOOL CLOSURE
During the school closure Mr. Gela and I will be posting a "Morning Announcements" video each day.
Encourage your student to subscribe to the YouTube channel so they stay connected with our school community.
These Morning Announcements have a fun format with a goal of being informative and engaging.
Visit the school's YouTube Channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa6dAayrQP-IEoHIghV38Lg and then click "Subscribe."
In case you missed it, check out WNYT’s recent coverage of the work AMS teachers are doing during the school closure and their spotlight on our Morning Announcements: https://wnyt.com/troy-new-york-news/distance-learning-connects-classes/5679906/
The yearbook goes on! Orders are being accepted for the 2019/2020 Algonquin Middle School yearbook.
The cost of the basic yearbook is $26.00 with upgrades optional.
Order your child's copy by going to ybpay.lifetouch.com and enter code # 11617120. The deadline for ordering is March 31, 2020. Extra yearbooks will not be available if you do not order online.
8TH GRADE BABY PICTURES
Would you like your 8th graders baby picture to be included in the 2019/2020 Algonquin yearbook? It is time to send those adorable baby pictures in. Pictures need to be sent digitally in .jpeg format. If they are not in this format, they cannot be used. Please send your photo to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your child’s name in the subject line of the email. Pictures will be due by March 30, 2020.